COSINES Pi III is a juncture of interests and a vibrant point of new development in the area of professional multicultural interlanguage communication. Professional interpreters, translators, journalists and businessmen will assemble at Moscow University to discuss cutting-edge topics of intercultural communication and to explore the innovative ways of keeping our profession on the solid ground of sustainable development in the 21st century.
This year the Conference COSINES Pi III is organised by the Faculty of Philology in cooperation with the Faculty of Economics, the Higher School of Translation and Interpreting, and the Faculty of Journalism.
The range of aspects to be addressed at COSINES Pi III fully embraces the challenges and suggests some solutions for translation in journalism, business interaction and changing cultural paradigms.
In the era of globalization, new media and interactive technologies have triggered an exponential increase in translation as a key mediator in cross-language communication. Staying positive with this, the inherent interdisciplinary demand of translation studies and the defining characteristics of journalism to obtain original information make the multidisciplinary fusion between translation, journalism, business, and politics more than logical, appropriate and timing.
The goals of the conference are:
– To provide scholars, educators and practitioners from the field of translation with opportunities to interact, network and benefit from each other’s scrutiny and expertise related to translation and journalism;
– To synthesize research perspectives and foster interdisciplinary scholarly dialogues for developing integrated approaches in response to mounting concerns of translation and journalism in global contexts;
– To advance modes of inquiry for translation and disseminate practical findings to facilitate understanding;
– To foster global intercultural sensitivity and offer new insights in the interrelations between translation and world literature.
The conference will tackle theoretical, practical and methodological issues of translation and interpreting, confronting them with the current mainstream in translation evaluation, reflecting fresh perspectives and provoking further in-depth and rigorous research.
Possible topics for discussion:
– Cognitive and corpus-based Translation / Interpreting studies: the old craft and the new approaches
– Intercultural barriers and cultural identity
– The ethics of the interpreter
– Translation in globalized market economies
– New communication formats, media and tools
– On the same page? Efficiency of sense rendering in the written translation and oral interpreting
– Interpreting litigation processes: creativity or precision
Discussions will split into four round-tables focusing on a variety of topics:
Please, enter the e-mail that you used to sign up. We will send you an e-mail with an activation code.
An activation code will be sent to your e-mail within a few minutes.
You agree not to use, copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, transmit, broadcast, download, store in any medium, adapt or change in any way, make available to the public or otherwise use any content of this Websites or parts thereof, such as particular features (hereafter called ‘COSINES Pi Content’), in any way except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Moreover, you agree not to adapt, alter or create a derivative work from any COSINES Pi Content except for your own personal, non-commercial use. Any other use of COSINES Pi Content requires the prior written permission of COSINES Pi Organizing Committee.
You agree to use the Websites only for lawful purposes, and in a way that does not infringe other persons’ rights or limit or hinder anyone else’s use and enjoyment of the Websites. Prohibited behaviour includes causing inconvenience to any person by transmitting obscene or offensive content or disrupting the normal flow of dialogue within the Websites. You agree not to collect any personal identifiable information, including account names, from the Websites, or to use any communication system possibly provided by the Websites for any commercial solicitation purposes. You agree not to solicit, for commercial purposes, any users of the Websites with respect to their Contributions.
Upon prior written request to and written permission from COSINES Pi, the use of certain COSINES Pi Content may be allowed for journalistic purposes.
By submitting a Contribution of any kind (including any text, pictures, graphics, photographs, audio or video), you agree, subject to the provisions set out in the present clause 4, to grant COSINES Pi a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, transferable and irrevocable right and licence to use, reproduce, modify, edit, cut, alter, adapt, translate, dub and/or subtitle in any language, create any derivative work, publish, distribute, broadcast, make available to the public, transmit, store, perform, show or play in public, and exercise all copyright and publicity rights with respect to your Contribution, in all or in part, and/or to incorporate part or all of your Contribution (including an adaptation and/or a derivation thereof) in any other work (including any audiovisual programme) into any media, platform or support (now known or later developed) for the full term of any rights that may exist in your Contribution.
General requirements for your Contribution(s):
– Contributions must be relevant, decent, in good taste, constructive and courteous;
– Advertising, sponsorship and other commercial messages are not allowed;
– No unlawful or objectionable content: defamatory, abusive, vulgar, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually-oriented, racially offensive or otherwise objectionable material or language is not acceptable;
– No deliberate abuse. For example, the submission of the same or very similar Contributions many times is not allowed. If you use multiple log-ins for the purpose of disrupting the service or the Websites or annoying other users action may be taken against your accounts.
By submitting a Contribution, you warrant that:
– You warrant that when using the Contributions in the manner contemplated above, no payment will need to be made by any entity whatsoever;
– You waive any moral rights in your Contribution for the purposes of its submission to and publication on any section of the Websites and for its incorporation into any work, and more generally, for all the purposes specified above;
– You shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless COSINES Pi, its Members or any authorised entity against any loss, liability, claim, demand, damage, or expense (including all legal fees and any other expenses) that may be incurred by COSINES Pi, its Members or any authorised entity as a result of your breach of the above general requirements and/or warranty. Notwithstanding the foregoing indemnity obligation for which you shall remain fully responsible, COSINES Pi reserves the right to assume the exclusive defence and take over of any matter.
If you do not want to grant COSINES Pi the rights set out above and/or if you are nor able to provide COSINES Pi with the above-mentioned warranties, do not submit your Contribution to the Website. COSINES Pi reserves the right to refuse or to delete any Contribution without prior notice, or take action against any account, at any time, for any reason, without prior consent and without prior notice.
COSINES Pi shall not be liable for any damages, including indirect or consequential damages, or any damages arising from use or loss of use, data or profits, whether in contract, negligence or other action, arising from or in connection with your use of the Website.
COSINES Pi content, including the information, names, images, pictures, logos and icons regarding or relating to COSINES Pi, its products and services (or to third party products and services), is provided to you ‘as is’ for your information and personal use only without any representations or any kind of warranty (whether express or implied by law), including the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility and security. COSINES Pi tries to ensure that the Website is as up to date as possible, but COSINES Pi cannot give a guarantee of the accuracy and currency of information provided on it.
COSINES Pi does not warrant that functions contained in COSINES Pi content will be uninterrupted or free of error, that defects will be corrected, or that COSINES Pi or the server that makes it available are free of viruses or bugs. No implied endorsement. The views of individual users or contributors to the Website expressed are those of members of the public only and do not necessarily represent the opinion of COSINES Pi or any COSINES Pi Members. COSINES Pi or its Members shall have no responsibility in that respect.
Links to other websites have been included to make this Website as useful as possible. However, COSINES Pi is not involved in its production and is not responsible for the content or accuracy of information on these linked websites.
COSINES Pi III takes place in the premises of the Faculty of Economics, Moscow State University. We have at our disposal five huge lecture halls and spacious lobbies:
Address: Lomonosov Moscow State University, Faculty of Economics, 1, Lenin Hills Block 46, Russia, 119991, Moscow
Our accomplished, engaging international staff come from a wide variety of backgrounds and cover an impressive range of professions both in and outside of the Contest Organizing Committee.
We are always on the lookout for new talents who bring added value to our Contest and Platform. You can send your CV and cover letter explaining why you may want to join our team. For more info on working at COSINES Pi, contact our Human Resources team at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
Specialists who may be in demand at COSINES Pi:
– Literary editors
– Web designers
– SMM specialists
– Project Managers
– Video Producers
– Sales Manager
– Community Managers
ORIGINS. COSINES Pi III is an International Contest of Simultaneous Interpreters annually held in Moscow in the premises of Moscow University. The acronym COSINES is formed from the constituent letters of the contest title. The Contest was founded and organized by Professor of Moscow State University Marklen Konurbaev in April 2017 and is now set to happen every year as a regular meeting point for conference interpreters and oral interpreting experts throughout the whole of Russia.
GRASSROOTS. Originally, the Contest saw itself as ‘Mind Olympics’ where budding and experienced interpreters could display their most surprising natural talents in meaning rendering and compete with their peers. The Jury included the pundits of the profession, many of whom served as personal interpreters to Presidents of the USSR, Russia, Bulgaria; CEOs of multinational companies and AIIC interpreters.
The MARKET. On the very first year the Contest attracted the attention of the whole market, hosting participants from over 22 cities around the globe including New York, Paris, the Hague, Antalya and a number of big cities in Russia and the CIS.
STRATEGY. In the coming years, COSINES Pi III will focus on developing a platform for endorsing interpreters’ professional reputation by providing services of independent expertise and managed account platform. The Platform could be further used by interpreters as a database of their personal achievements and as a service base for requesting to endorse their current reputation from the COSINES Board of Independent Experts. Conference interpreters will use this endorsement as another important document in their portfolio to prove their level and qualification.
THE SHOW. The 2018 COSINES Pi is organized as a series of online battles between the contestants and the coaching sessions for the super-finalists who will be advised by the guru of the profession, accent coaches and psychologists helping the finalists to get the best our of their performance on the stage.
Send inquiries to: email@example.com
Thank you! We'll keep you updated.
Enter e-mail in correct format: firstname.lastname@example.org
You are already subscribed.